Skip to main content

Sugar 'n Spice

Look into the window of your soul and if smutty playing cards are in its purview, slam it shut until the sash rattles loose its frivolous bones. Don't let those baby blues fool you because this is an affront to art itself though novelty it may be.

That said, we have to consider the package in its entirety. I first wrote of such cards a week or so back culminating with a complete aesthetic rebuke of them the other day. Not an half hour later I went to an estate sale and found a similar pack to the one discussed in the aforementioned link. Funny how that works, eh?

The back of that deck features a drawing of two naked women:


One clutching her pearls, so to speak, and the other posing coquettishly through the feminist peephole of inequity. My biggest gripe with the lithograph, besides being backed with photos of nude women besmirching the laureled archaic symbols of the pack, was that the depicted female was fondling herself. Remove that element and we have the potential for low art. 

Voila! I go to the estate sale and find the Sugar 'n Spice pack containing just that:

Our favorite feminist icon is now playing a flute instead of her own bongos. Progress! She has learned a craft and bettered herself in the eyes of the misogynist, if nothing else. Though, calling yourself Sugar 'n Spice isn't exactly the same as baccalaureate, but I digress morally, metaphysically and intellectually.

As I've said, this pack is not without artistic merit. The fanned backs placed above the cartoonish vixen - who unironically has multicolored hair which is the vogue fashion of our progressive age, haha - on the box document both the pack and backing and illustrates their joint union.

And the naked woman! With a splash across her breastbone because censorship in this case is paramount. The archaic symbols must not be defiled by modern smut! Which would be prudish if I didn't say the same thing about fortunetelling for profit because I hold both in the same league: a defiling. One shall not profit from or profane the symbolism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dougherty's Indicator No. 50 Deck From 1900 in the Original Box

I lucked upon this antique pack of Dougherty's Indicator No. 50 Playing Cards at an estate sale that I had originally gone to for the sole intent of purchasing Tarot cards that I was going to resell. After procuring the lesser pack that I wanted I spied a dozens of packs of vintage and antique playing card decks, coming home with a dozen of the best ones. Since they are shrink wrapped I assumed that these were reproductions but after asking card historian and expert  Jason McKinstry on Instagram he believes that they are the real deal from 1900 as the tax stamp suggests but with the caveat that some savvy collector put the protective wrap on the box knowing full well what he had. I have mixed emotions on the matter since I'm not inclined to open a sealed pack and even if the shrinkwrap isn't original the stamp seems to be as it was when issued. The cards apparently look something like these .