Skip to main content

Finding the Four of Clubs

Before going on my walk today while crossing the threshold of the front door to my enclosed porch I suddenly thought, "I'm going to find a playing card today." Something which I hadn't done since last year when I found a slew of them which led to my interest in cartomancy and eventually the amassing of dozens of decks. Anyway, I found it interesting. 

As far as symbolism and cartomancy go:

"The Four of Clubs is called by sailors the Devil's Bedposts." 

"...in the old game of Gleek all the fours were named Tiddy." 

'The Four of Clubs is a card of strengthening friendships and increased social capacities. It suggests that the Querent is held in warm affection and high regard by those about him but that he is not fully aware of this cherishing. The intimation is that, in case of need, he may find assistance from unexpected sources. 

"This card represents gradual growth, a day by day tightening of bonds of affection which may escape the Querent's notice. There is a hint that the Querent may feel forlorn or abandoned, inarticulateness may prevent the full pleasure of friendships which are available to him. If this is the case, the Querent should be advised that open friendliness on his part, together with a kindly interest in those about him, may open up gates to more rewarding social activities. 

"There is a suggestion that the Querent underestimates himself and that he is capable of inspiring unexpected depths of friendship and of being deemed worthy of loyalties. A fuller recognition of the regard in which he is held by others may enrich the Querent's life, but it should be counterbalanced by a more searching attempt on his part to find greater values and admirable characteristics in his associates." 

Unironically, it was also the last card in my second self-reading (to verify the first; it did) that I took to mean, "consort with witches and ply their cartomancy scheme" and so I did. It was only recently that I said, "F- Fate and these witches. Yours is not mine." Is this them responding?

Furthering the muddled prediction of card-finding is the fact that I picked up these four copies of FATE Magazine from the 1970s and '80s along with the color yourself Tarot card kit at the thrift store just before going for the walk. Curiously enough the Four of Clubs card had no backing on it as it had been peeled off. More symbolism?

On the walk, which was a few miles, just before finding the card at the end of my street, I had almost changed course because I intended on stopping for snacks but realized that I had several miles to go so kept on the same course. Not a minute or so later I found the card.

Previous to that I saw 2 black cats, the latter just before I came upon the card and whom was dragging its rump across the grass as it probably had worms or something of that sort. I saw a third cat, first of the triumvirate, who was large, grey and likely deaf since it didn't respond to any of my loud vocal calls to it.

I only mention the cat portion of the story because some strange happenings in the past year included several cats which seemingly watched me as if they were a witch's familiar. There is more to the story than that but this is a card blog and not some teenage melodrama so I won't rehash that for the uninitiated. Likewise, further related happenings later in the evening will remain unspoken save for the mention of a cat which walked past my house as I was rehashing the strange events of the day with somebody on the phone. I still say that the card was an omen and these posts are the result of such random beliefs. 

Even weirder still was the revelation by an acquaintance tonight that he had mentioned something about me to a long distance friend and she then did a Tarot card reading for me and the results were sent via the mail! 

For good measure here is the Gypsy Witch card deck definition for the Four of Clubs:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dougherty's Indicator No. 50 Deck From 1900 in the Original Box

I lucked upon this antique pack of Dougherty's Indicator No. 50 Playing Cards at an estate sale that I had originally gone to for the sole intent of purchasing Tarot cards that I was going to resell. After procuring the lesser pack that I wanted I spied a dozens of packs of vintage and antique playing card decks, coming home with a dozen of the best ones. Since they are shrink wrapped I assumed that these were reproductions but after asking card historian and expert  Jason McKinstry on Instagram he believes that they are the real deal from 1900 as the tax stamp suggests but with the caveat that some savvy collector put the protective wrap on the box knowing full well what he had. I have mixed emotions on the matter since I'm not inclined to open a sealed pack and even if the shrinkwrap isn't original the stamp seems to be as it was when issued. The cards apparently look something like these .