Skip to main content

Berenice

Now this is probably going to sound like a contradiction and that's all right by me but this early Congress Berenice nude is absolute art whereas I've called other so-called pin-up girl playing cards raw smut.

First, there is no sexual connotation involved with the Berenice card. How could there be when a lion is swimming up from the abyss to meet her in magnanimity?! Even the secondary nude behind her sweeping arm is bathed in modesty. 

If one had to define the difference they'd start with intent. This card isn't meant to titillate. It's more of a voyeuristic view in the sense that one would not normally see a woman in her naked form unless he was intimate with her, though not explicitly in a sexual way. This card is artistic because it represents beauty in its natural element.

Then there's the peep-hole sort of voyeurism as shown in the deck above. Though, this is somewhat a bad example because the card backs are actually artistic even if the woman at front and center is getting plump with the available fruit. Yeah, it's tacky but were she not fondling herself it would be artistic, no? In fact, if they could reinvent the pack with the clover-hole window and this cartoon woman just standing there minding her own business we'd have art. But they didn't. The medium devolved into full-on smut as shown below.

Alas- we arrive at smut. I'm sure there are worse examples but the depiction above is in the vein of what set me off last week about the entire matter. On a Joker card to boot! You shameless penny-grubbers! Listen, if this woman was standing by my god-awful white wicker chair looking this way I'd probably moderate my tone but having seen Munch's Model by the Wicker Chair I have better discernment than that and can spot smut and reject it. For the same reason that you'd much rather have a secretary beau than an Only Fans wife I'd much rather have Berenice than the Joker's wild white honey mistress flamingo-ing herself on the ancient tableaus of wisdom and folly. The eBay seller's black censor swaths are the only thing containing artistic merit on the card.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dougherty's Indicator No. 50 Deck From 1900 in the Original Box

I lucked upon this antique pack of Dougherty's Indicator No. 50 Playing Cards at an estate sale that I had originally gone to for the sole intent of purchasing Tarot cards that I was going to resell. After procuring the lesser pack that I wanted I spied a dozens of packs of vintage and antique playing card decks, coming home with a dozen of the best ones. Since they are shrink wrapped I assumed that these were reproductions but after asking card historian and expert  Jason McKinstry on Instagram he believes that they are the real deal from 1900 as the tax stamp suggests but with the caveat that some savvy collector put the protective wrap on the box knowing full well what he had. I have mixed emotions on the matter since I'm not inclined to open a sealed pack and even if the shrinkwrap isn't original the stamp seems to be as it was when issued. The cards apparently look something like these .