Skip to main content

Dougherty's Indicator No. 50 Deck From 1900 in the Original Box

I lucked upon this antique pack of Dougherty's Indicator No. 50 Playing Cards at an estate sale that I had originally gone to for the sole intent of purchasing Tarot cards that I was going to resell. After procuring the lesser pack that I wanted I spied a dozens of packs of vintage and antique playing card decks, coming home with a dozen of the best ones.

Since they are shrink wrapped I assumed that these were reproductions but after asking card historian and expert Jason McKinstry on Instagram he believes that they are the real deal from 1900 as the tax stamp suggests but with the caveat that some savvy collector put the protective wrap on the box knowing full well what he had. I have mixed emotions on the matter since I'm not inclined to open a sealed pack and even if the shrinkwrap isn't original the stamp seems to be as it was when issued.

The cards apparently look something like these.
 

Comments